Units of the PSP Certification Program™
Unit 1 – Fundamentals of Primary Spine Care
Unit 2 – The Lumbar Spine
Unit 3 – The Cervical Spine
Unit 4 – Clinical Management and Final Proficiency Exam
Or, scan below:
Participants who are accepted into and registered for the PSP Program can access the course using the link below.
Clinical Reasoning in Spine Pain, Volumes I and II, by Donald R. Murphy, DC, FRCC
These texts are recommended reading for the University of Pittsburgh Primary Spine Practitioner Certification Program™. These are clinical workbooks that instruct the practitioner on the application of an evidence-based, relationship-centered approach to spine care. They are designed to give practitioners and students a concise means to integrate disparate findings, organize clinical data, form a diagnosis, and design an effective management strategy. Two chapters on case studies illustrate the real-world application of Primary Spine Care in actual patient scenarios.
These books will be referenced throughout the course and it is recommended that attendees read the books cover-to-cover in order to familiarize themselves with the material that will be expanded upon in the live and distance learning modules.
Students are responsible for acquiring their own texts.
Primary Management of Low Back Disorders Using The CRISP ProtocolsMurphy, Donald R.
Primary Management of Cervical Disorders Using The CRISP ProtocolsMurphy, Donald R.
The following documents are available for download.
The Establishment of a Primary Spine Care Practitioner and its Benefits to Health Care Reform in the United States
Murphy D, Justice B, Paskowski I, Perle S, Schneider M
Treatment-Based Classificiation System for Low Back Pain: Revision and Update
Alrwaily M, Timko M, Schneider M, Stevans J, Bise C, Hariharan K, et al.
- Christensen CM, Grossman JH, Hwang J. The Innovator's Prescription: A Disruptive Solution for Health Care. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2009.
- Dower C, Moore J, Langelier M. It Is Time To Resctructure Health Professions Scope-Of-Practice Regulations To Remove Barriers To Care. Health affairs. 2013 Nov;32(11):1971-6.
- Hartvigsen J, Foster NE, Croft PR. We need to rethink front line care for back pain. Bmj. 2011;342:d3260.
- Porter ME. A Strategy for Health Care Reform--Toward a Value-Based System. The New England journal of medicine. 2009 Jul 9;361(2):109-12
- Porter ME, Lee TH. The Strategy That Will Fix Health Care. Harvard Bus Rev. 2013;Oct:1-19.
- Porter ME, Teisberg EO. Redefining Health Care: Creating Value-Based Competition on Results. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press; 2006.
PSP Certification Program™: This copyright is owned by the University of Pittsburgh and may be reprinted without charge only for non-commercial research and educational purposes. Changes or modifications to this program are not authorized without prior written permission from the University of Pittsburgh. For permission to use this instrument for commercial purposes or for commercially sponsored research, please contact the Innovation Institute at the University of Pittsburgh at 412-383-7670 for licensing information.
Updated | 7.12.2022